So it appears that Microsoft removed the ability to scan directly into a document in Office 2007.
It’s a pretty silly move I suppose, so I tried to work out a way to bring the functionality back, first of all, here’s how Microsoft suggests you should do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924462
Step 1: Use the software that was included with your scanner to scan and save the image to your computer.
… Yeah, no thanks.
Here’s two actual solutions to the problem:
Option 1: Using a Key Combo
Install your scanner drivers as per normal.
In Word, press the alt key and type ips (note: don’t hold them down or it won’t work, just type out ips).
Word will then pop up asking you what scanner you want to use. It didn’t bring up the scanner interface on the machine I was working with, it just went right ahead and scanned the whole document, so this may not be the best solution for some. Note that the next solution is more difficult and does exactly the same thing as this one.
Source: Comments on this page: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/360373/how-to-scan-into-word-2010
Option 2: Creating a button on the Ribbon
This option is a lot more complicated, make sure you get all the steps right and in order! When you’re done you’ll have a button on your Insert tab of the Ribbon.
- Open Word and go to the View Tab then click on Macros.
- Give the macro a name (eg. Scan)
- Enter the following text EXACTLY: Application.WordBasic.InsertImagerScan
- Save and Close the Window
- Right click anywhere on the Ribbon and Select “Customise the Ribbon”
- On the right hand pane, click on the Insert category and click New Group.
- Rename the Group to anything you like (eg. Scan)
- On the Left Hand Pane, Change the drop down box at the top to Macros then select the Macro you made in step 2-4 and click the Add button (so it appears underneath the scan group you made in Step 6.
- Rename it to something better like “Scan Document” and pick a pretty picture for it.
- Click Okay and you’re done!
Now you can just click the button to Scan a document. It’s exactly the same as the alt-ips option above though, but might be easier for people to remember so they can click the button.
If this helped you, please leave a comment to say thanks